Arjumand, I. Ebralidze, M. Ashtari, J. Stryuk, N.M. Cann, and
J.H. Horton, “The Chiral Discrimination of a Proline-Based
Stationary Phase: Adhesion Forces and Calculated Selectivity
Factors” J. Phys. Chem. C, 117, 4131-40 (2013).
Sun and J.H. Horton, “Perfluorinated poly(dimethylsiloxane) via
the covalent attachment of perfluoroalkylsilanes on the oxidized
surface: effects on zeta-potential values” Appl. Surf. Sci.,
APSUSC-D-12-05575, accepted for publication, January 2013.
Azmi, I. Ebralidze, and J.H. Horton, “Characterization of
hydroxyphenol-terminated alkanethiol self-assembled monolayers:
interactions with phosphates by chemical force spectrometry” J.
Coll. Interface Sci. 393, 352-360 (2013).
Y.Y. Lau, S.M. Mercer, T. Robert, J.H. Horton, and P.G. Jessop,
“The effect of switchable water additives on clay settling”
ChemSusChem 6, 132-140 (2013).
R. D. Oleschuk,
low-temperature bonding of patterned poly(methyl methacrylate)
Microfluidics and Nanofluidics
14, 133-143 (2013).
41. I. Ebralidze, M. Hanif, R. Arjumand, A. Azmi, S. Dixon, N.
Cann, C.M. Crudden, and J. Hugh Horton "Solvent induced adhesion
interactions between dichlorotriazine films" J. Phys. Chem. C,
116, 4217-4223 (2012)
40. S. MacQuarrie, B. Nohair, J. Hugh Horton, S. Kaliaguine, C.
M. Crudden "Functionalized mesostructured silicas as supports
for palladium catalysts: effect of pore structure and collapse
on catalytic activity in the Suzuki-Miyaura reaction" J. Phys.
Chem. C, 114, 57-64 (2010)
39. G.W. Nelson, M. Perry, S.-M. He, D.L. Zechel and J. Hugh
Horton "Characterization of covalently bonded proteins on
poly(methyl methacrylate) by X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy"
Coll. Surf. B, 78, 61-68 (2010).
38. Andrew J. Vreugdenhil, J. Hugh Horton, M.E. Woods
“Fabrication, Characterization and Modification of
Nanodimensional Silica Hybrid Multilayered Materials” J. Non-Cryst.
Solids, 355, 1206-1211 (2009).
37. S. Nita and J. Hugh Horton “Chiral self-selectivity in two model
dinitrobenzoyl-derivatized brush-type chiral stationary phases” J.
Phys. Chem. C, 113, 4468-4475 (2009).
Rudrake, K. Karan and J. Hugh Horton “A Combined QCM and XPS
Investigation of Asphaltene Adsorption on Metal Surfaces” J. Coll.
Interface Sci. 332, 22-31 (2009).
McEleney, C. M. Crudden and J. Hugh Horton “X-ray photoelectron
spectroscopy and the Auger parameter as tools for characterization
of silica-supported Pd catalysts for the Suzuki-Miyaura Reaction” J.
Phys. Chem. C, 113, 1901-1907 (2009).
34. D. Wang, M. Douma, B. Swift, R.D. Oleschuk and J. Hugh Horton
“The adsorption of globular proteins onto a fluorinated PDMS surface
J. Coll. Interface Sci., 331, 90-97 (2009).
33. S. MacQuarrie, J. Hugh Horton, J. Barnes, K. McEleney, H.P. Loock
and C. Crudden, "Visual Observation of Redistribution and
Dissolution of Palladium During the Suzuki-Miyaura Reaction", Angew.
Chemie, 47, 3279-3282 (2008) [Inside Cover Article].
32. D. Wang,
R.D. Oleschuk and J. Hugh Horton, “Surface modification of
poly(dimethylsiloxane) with a perfluorinated alkoxysilane for
selectivity towards fluorous tagged peptides" Langmuir 24, 1080-1086 (2008).
31. A. Logatcheva and J. Hugh Horton, “The
mechanical properties of alkylsiloxane films deposited on Si (111)” Coll. Surf. A, 315, 156-164 (2008)
30. J. Wang, J. Hugh Horton, G. Liu, S.-Y. Lee, and K.J. Shea,
nanoaggregates in toluene at room temperature” Polymer, 48,
29. B. Wang, R.D. Oleschuk, P.M. Petkovich and
J. Hugh Horton, “Chemical force titrations of antigen- and
antibody-modified poly(methylmethacrylate)” Coll. Surf. B, 55,
28. B. Wang, R.D. Oleschuk and J. Hugh
Horton, “The Flow Performance and Aging Characteristics of
Sulfonated-Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) Surfaces for Microfluidic
Device Applications” Can. J. Chem, 84, 720-29 (2006).
Mengistu, V. Goel, J.H. Horton, and S. Morin, "Chemical Force
Titrations of Functionalized Si(111) Surfaces", Langmuir, 22, 5301-7
26. S. Nita, N.M. Cann and
J. Hugh Horton, “The solvation of the N-(1-phenylethyl)-N’-[3-(triethoxysilyl)propyl]-urea
chiral stationary phase in mixed alcohol/water solvents” J. Phys.
Chem B, 110, 9511-19 (2006).
25. L. Brown, J. Hugh Horton, and R.D. Oleschuk, “Fabrication and Characterization of
Poly(methylmethacrylate) Microfluidic Devices Bonded Using Surface
Modifications and Solvents”, Lab-On-A-Chip, 6, 66-73, (2006).
24. J. Liang and J. Hugh
of Benzoic Acid and Phosphates with Iron Oxide Colloids Using
Chemical Force Titration”, Langmuir, 21, 10608-14 (2005)
R.D. Oleschuk and J. Hugh Horton, “Chemical Force Titrations of
Amine- and Sulfonic Acid-Modified Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS)”
Langmuir, 21, 1290-1298 (2005).
22. S. Nita, N.M. Cann and J. Hugh Horton, “Hydrogen bonding, pi-pi
stacking, selectivity, and solvation of a model chiral stationary
phase” J. Phys. Chem B, 108, 3512-22 (2004).
B. Wang, L.
Chen, Z. Abdulali-Kanji, J. Hugh Horton and R.D. Oleschuk, “Aging
Effects on Oxidized and Amine-modified Polydimethylsiloxane Surfaces
Studied with Chemical Force Microscopy: Effects on Electro-osmotic
Flow Rate in Microfluidic Channels” Langmuir, 19, 9792-9798
20. R. Wang and J. Hugh Horton,
“Photodiffusion of Silver in Germanium-Sulfur Compound Studied by AFM, Nanoindentation and RBS Methods” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 5,
4335 - 4342 (2003).
19. B. Wang, S. Nita, J. Hugh Horton and R.D. Oleschuk, “Surface
modification of PDMS for electroosmotic flow: characterization
using atomic and chemical force microscopy”, in Proceedings of the Microanalysis Systems Symposium 2002, eds. Y.
Baba and S. Shoji, Volume 1, 431-33 (2003).
18. B. Wang, Z. Abdulali-Kanji, E. Dodwell, J.H. Horton and R.D.
Oleschuk, “Surface characterization using chemical force microscopy
and the flow performance of modified polydimethylsiloxane for
microfluidic device applications”, Electrophoresis, 24 1442-50 (2003).
17. D.I. Kreller, G.Gibson, W. Novak, G.W. vanLoon and J.H. Horton
“Competitive adsorption of phosphate and carboxylate with natural
organic matter on hydrous iron oxides as investigated by chemical
force microscopy” Coll. Surf. A, 212, 249-264 (2002).
16. D.I Kreller, G. Gibson, G.W. vanLoon and J.H. Horton “Chemical force
microscopy investigation of phosphate adsorption in the surface of
hydrous iron (III) oxyhydroxide particles.” J. Coll. Inter. Sci., 254 205-213 (2002).
15. J. Li and J.H. Horton “A Scanning Probe Study of Some Short Chain Self-assembled Alkylsilane Films.”
J. Mater. Chem. 12, 1268-73 (2002).
14. G.L.G. Goring, R. Stephen Brown and J. Hugh Horton “The
adsorption of benzo[k]fluoranthene on self assembled films of
octadecyltrichlorosilane.” J. Mater. Chem. 11, 2282-86
Omoike and J. Hugh Horton “Mechanical and Surface Chemical
Properties of Some Solid-Phase Hydrous Aluminum Oxide/Tannic Acid
Particles Investigated Using Scanning Probe Methods.” Langmuir 16,
12. G. Chen and J.H. Horton "Photochemically induced oxidation and
silver deposition on amorphous germanium sulfide films studied using
atomic force microscopy and ion beam methods." Thin Solid Films 347, 208-213 (1999).
11. C. Freure, G. Chen and J.H. Horton "Examination of solvent
interactions at the surface of PET films using atomic force
microscopy and infrared spectroscopy." Surf. Sci. 437,
10. J.H. Horton, J. Rasmusson, J.G. Shapter, and P.R. Norton, “The
adsorption of bis(hexafluoroacetylacetonato)zinc(II) on
Si(111)-7x7.” Can. J. Chem. 76 1-6 (1998).
9. A. Omoike,
G. Chen, G. W. Van Loon, and J. H. Horton, “Investigation of the
Surface Properties of Solid-Phase Hydrous Aluminum Oxide Species in
Simulated Wastewater Using Atomic Force Microscopy.” Langmuir 14,
8. J.H. Horton, J.G. Shapter, T. Cheng, W.N. Lennard and P.R. Norton, "STM
investigation of chemical vapour deposition of copper on
Si(111)-7x7: Evidence for limiting copper cluster size." Surf. Sci. 375, 171 (1997).
7. J.H. Horton, C. Hardacre, C.J. Baddeley, G.D. Moggridge, R.M.
Ormerod and R.M. Lambert, "Quenching of metal sticking by
photo-oxidation of an amorphous semiconductor: Zn on GeS2."
Phys. Rev. B 52, 2054-2062 (1995).
6. J.H. Horton, C. Hardacre, C.J. Baddeley, G.D. Moggridge, R.M.
Ormerod and R.M. Lambert, "Effect of photo-oxidation on the sticking
and reactivity of Ag on amorphous GeS2." J. Phys.:
Condens. Matter 8, 707-718 (1995).
5. J. H. Horton, G.D. Moggridge, R.M. Ormerod, A.V. Kolobov and R.M.
Lambert, "Electron spectroscopic study of the growth, composition
and stability of GeSx films prepared in ultra high
vacuum." Thin Solid Films 237, 134-140 (1994).
4. J.H. Horton, K.L. Peat and R.M. Lambert, "Surface photo-oxidation
and Ag deposition on amorphous GeS2." J. Phys. Condens.
Matter, 5, 9037-9048 (1993).
Horton and J.M. Goodings, "Silicon anion and cation chemistry in a
fuel-rich, methane oxygen flame." Can. J. Chem., 70,
2. P.N. Crovisier, J.H. Horton, C.S. Hassanali and J.M. Goodings, "Ion
chemistry of aluminum and boron in methane oxygen flames." Can. J.
Chem. 70, 839-848 (1992).
1. J.H. Horton, P.N. Crovisier and J.M. Goodings, "Anion and cation
chemistry of phosphoryl chloride as an electron scavenger in a
fuel-rich methane oxygen flame." Int. J. Mass Spectrom. Ion
Processes 114, 99-121 (1992).